Thursday, March 1, 2012

Naegleria fowleri A startling investigation

     While doing an assignment today on a protozoa called Naegleria fowleri i learned that you can catch this fatal disease while swimming in lakes, rivers, and in hot springs.  I remember this one time watching this show called Monsters inside me on Animal Planet, about a boy who went swimming in a near by lake in Florida and a few days later he ended up in the hospital and eventually died.  However, I don't recall if the disease he got was from this microorganism, but it is scary to think that you can't even enjoy a swim without worrying about protozoan sneaking into your nose.  On another note, while reading about N. fowleri it got me thinking, all the times that I got sick from going to the lake back home in New Jersey, could it have been this.  However, I doubt it was because I'm still here and not 6 feet underground.

No comments:

Post a Comment