Friday, February 17, 2012

Reflections of Microbiology


     When i was younger, I never thought about "germs" as being good.  I remember the first time hearing this word was probably when I was in grade school, when the teachers would say wash your hands good or you'll catch a cold.  Even when I got older I never really thought about what germs really were, but things that could make you sick.  However, when I started studying microorganisms that helped us in our everyday lives and the ones that are pathogenic towards us, it changed my concept of how I saw things.

     Microbiology, helped me understand why it is that these bacteria exist and what is the purpose of having them in this world.  Not only do I understand better, but I owe that to the current professor that is teaching the course.  She has excellent knowledge about the topics we learn everyday in class.  For example, when I took Biology in high school, we learned about cellular respiration, which is the process of using energy to make ATP.  However, I never really understood it and honestly I've probably heard of it a good amount of times to actually know the process and what is involved to make ATP, but when the professor went over it in class I understood it much better and was actually able to answer questions.  Microbiology is an interesting course and I would recommend everyone to take a better look at the environment and know that the things that surround us are there for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment